Table of content
Some backstory to understand the root of the problem
When asking the AVA.codes team about the difference between React and ReactJS, the AngularJS framework comes to mind. This tool appeared 12 years ago and was very popular among devs some time ago. In the case of AngularJS, the notation JS plays a cruel joke. Angular 1 (AngularJS) is based on JS and has all the patterns of this programming language.
One more Angular exists in the world. It no longer has the JS prefix, and it functions entirely differently. This framework is based on another programming language called TypeScript. Despite the same name, they are two fundamentally separate tools. If you are interested, here you will find a small list of distinctions between the two.
Is there any difference between React and ReactJS?
In fact, there is no difference between React and ReactJS. They are the same technology. In contrast to AngularJS, the creators decided not to complicate our lives, and the following versions of the frontend tool were created based on the same programming language and logic. React is a shortened form of the full name of the open-source JS library ReactJS. There is any difference between them.
Comparing ReactJS to React Native (RN) is another matter. We need to consider the features and characteristics of the tools in this case. Each of the technologies is aimed at solving their specific tasks.
Note: Often, when searching for an answer to the question of what the difference between React and ReactJS is, people actually mean React vs React Native comparison. Such confusion is more common among non-tech-savvy people. Alternatively, newbies.
What is React (ReactJS)?
Advantages of the technology:
- you can reuse some components;
- the open-source instrument has many add-ons;
- a stable code;
- the virtual DOM allows you to interact with much traffic;
- a flexible code structure;
- you can easily scale the project;
- massive support from Meta Platforms (ex-Facebook Inc.).
Disadvantages of the technology:
- no structured documentation;
- too much leeway;
- large projects are more challenging to update.
What is React Native?
RN is a cross-platform mobile framework allowing developers to build native-like apps. This tool lets you develop mobile applications with a flat UI and UX needs similar to the web version. This technology appeared two years after the ReactJS presentation, and since that time, the mobile framework has been steadily in the top 3 most used technologies globally.
Advantages of the framework:
- many native-like UX components;
- faster development process due to the ability to reuse part of the code;
- quick testing;
- design similar to ReactJS;
- great features for scalable projects;
- extensive community and constant development.
Disadvantages of the framework:
- additional source code checking is required;
- no official framework for testing;
- you cannot write a single code to be used on different platforms.
Probably, here is everything you need to know about the difference between React and ReactJS and React Native. It should be enough to start developing your own web or mobile app, or to hire a qualified ReactJS developer.